Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Family Reunions.....

My dad loved his family. There were many family experiences of working outside. We cleaned the woods, hauled off leaves and limbs, trimmed the pond area, broke up beaver dams...you name it and it would probably be on his (our) list of things accomplished.
Dad instilled in us a working relationship that involved outside and inside chores. "If you're gonna do it, do it right." (I often wanted the short-cut version.) As I work outside in the yard, I hear a small voice whisper at times, "Mel, That's right." or "Dig a little deeper." I know dad is ALWAYS with me, and I just love to recall our times together as I work in the yard. (My sister often has shared with me the same sentiments.)
Family...dad was so proud to have his extended family visit for a Goodwin Reunion. He and mom have hosted the reunion the third weekend of April each year. He would begin getting ready at least 2 months before...he loved this time of gathering and wanted everyone to enjoy themselves.
I am traveling today to South Carolina to help mother with last-minute preparations for the 2012 Goodwin Reunion which will be held on Saturday. It will be a sad but joyous occasion for us. Sad because dad joined Christ on September 30, 2011, but joyous because he is celebrating with us in spirit and probably talking Jesus' ears off about HIS family here on earth. Dad loved his family.
Looking forward to a time of visiting with relatives.

9 siblings (Annie Mae, Margaret, Martha, Hazel, Jim,
Jennings, Mildred, Willie Edith & Alice)
Jennings - Mildred - Pa - Willie Edith - Jim

 
2012 Goodwin Reunion
Pa - Alice - Willie Edith - Jim - Jennings - Mildred

No comments: