Thursday, November 28, 2013

Stores Opened @ 8 PM on THANKSGIVING DAY

Yes, they did.

Glenn has NEVER wanted to get out among the crazy crowds. However, he asked me to accompany him to Belk Thanksgiving Night around 8PM for a "Buy 1 - Get 2 Free" shirt sale. (He's real weird about how his shirts feel around his neck but these that he found some time ago feel good.)

So off we go and as we turn onto Montgomery Hwy, he sees the mall parking lot and says, "We might need to park a distance and walk because there won't be a parking space." I just tell him to drive on in the lot area directing him to an area where quite a few spaces were available. And we were right near the door that we needed to go in.

As we enter Belk around 8:10PM, there were already long-g-g-g-g-g-g lines at the registers. WHAT!

We "mazed" through the sheets and pillows to the men's department. "Oh, look! Here are the pants I wear for $14.99. Do you see my size?" We found him 2 pair. Moving on to the shirts, I follow him. (He knew just where they were. So funny.)

Now we search for 3 shirts with the colors that he likes. Got them. He decides to look around. So I look at a table nearby, find a Christmas gift and smile.

We look quickly at watches, lingerie and then head to the kitchen appliances. I saw in their sales booklet where they had a stand mixer for around $50. Now I'm not much of a cook or baker but hopefully this will encourage me to try more recipes.

Arms filled we headed to the lingerie register where the line wasn't as long as the others. We met some nice shoppers in front and back of us and enjoyed some light conversation until we checked out.

Glenn's first and perhaps his last "Early Black Friday" shopping.

***   *****   ***

For a number of years I spent Thanksgiving Day with the Franklin Family ladies searching through the sales booklets mapping out my "Plan of Action" for "Black Friday" shopping. Stores would open at varying times...4AM, 5AM, 6AM...and so on. The day after Thanksgiving I would join my family of ladies here in Dothan for a wild day of shopping.

Now it has been years since I have been "Black Friday" shopping. The frantic, frenzy, chaotic mass of shopping just doesn't interest me any more.

I do miss being with the ladies but.................Thanksgiving Family Day will just have to be our time.

Belk @ Greenwood Mall ~ Greenwood, SC

This is how our Belk looked
when we got their Thursday night.
Boots were $19.99 and
boxes were flying.