Friday, March 27, 2009

STOMP

STOMP by Kirk Franklin

From the time I could hear sounds music has been an important part of my life. Growing up mother played the piano and sang. My siblings and I would sit/stand around and listen or even sing along. We even took piano lessons. I rank about last among the three kids. Mother played by “ear”, and we loved to hear her play her rendition of “boogie woogie”. It was so lively you wanted to kick up your heels…and we did. Music and dance was good at the house. Just ask the “Brightsville Shuffle” fellow.

As we grew each sibling had a different beat in their heart. Sister had that “shag” going on, I “grooved” with Motown, and brother “rocked out” with KISS and QUEEN. Our taste in music continues to change as we become older. I’ve seen more gospel/praise, country, bluegrass, etc. around our homes. All types of music is good for the soul.

I personally love all types of music because the sound, rhythm, and lyrics allow my emotions to feel beyond the unimagined. I can totally immerse myself into a song, close my eyes, and feel; thus, I begin to move. Any song that can make a person feel to consider a new possibility is worthy of listening to.

Now…church related music. I love the hymns, praise, 7-11, whatever. Most often people make decisions about church songs by what others say, how the music sounds, etc. without really taking into account what God has in store for us through these various types of song worship. I really missed a good sermon on music and other topics Sunday I’m told. (I was visiting mother and dad at their church in SC.)

Anyway…..
  • I love music, will continue to sing out loud…on key or sometimes off key.
  • I love music, will continue to sing my Motown and dance to it.
  • I love music, will continue to sing in church and share my talent (ha-ha), and sing songs in the choir I might not like but hey! I sing to worship and praise my Heavenly Father…not you.

No comments: