Tuesday, January 27, 2015

1.27.15...What a Day!!!

I’ll start with  – Happy Birthday Mom! That morning as I left my home, my travel began beautifully with an awesome sunrise over the fields of Headland. Not much traffic on the road and some good music as I cruised on down the road.

I really couldn't decide if I wanted to travel toward Atlanta or Macon but as I entered Eufaula, I saw one lane of traffic down the historic section and knew I would head toward Macon. So with my travel direction planned, I settled down into my car seat for what would be a 7 hour drive for the day.

I really enjoy this route because of the small roads and the scenery. The stops along the way are the ones I have selected over the years, and I feel very safe when I stop for a break, food or gas. Some interesting sights that I continue to look for are the “men who gather to talk on the steps on the long sidewalk extending from a house", “the artistic cutting of trees as topiaries by Pearl Fryer of Bishopville” and the many country churches along the way.

So I’m traveling & enjoying my ride and about to enter into “Interstate Territory” when I drive over railroad tracks. Now I didn't think I was traveling too fast (speed limit 55 & I usually slow for tracks) but apparently I was for THESE tracks.

Glenn’s always telling me that when you run over/hit something in the Mazda that the sound is kind of exaggerated. I was shocked when I heard this loud sound. Checking the controls & seeing nothing gave me a sigh of relief. However, it was a relief too quick to be!

Just as I was approaching the turn off to Interstate 20 my car alerted me to “check my tire pressure”. I turned onto the ramp & stopped to check the tires. Yep! My front right tire was slowly going flat. Oh no!

After a phone call to Glenn & AAA for some assistance, a kind gentleman stopped to help me. Mr. Joe Collins, who lived on the road I just turned off of, was on his way to Thomson. 

Mr. Joe changed my tire & asked that I follow him into Thomson where he would help me with the purchase of a new tire. 

We went to three tire stores and none of them had the tire I needed…a 19”. I was even told that another tire had a cut in it and some metal in the tire, and that I would need an additional tire. UGH!!! It just kept coming at me!!! The last store placed the "doughnut" at the rear of the car so I would be able to travel to Augusta safely for help & hopefully a new tire. Joe gave me his card & asked that I call him if I needed additional assistance as I traveled to Augusta. 

Augusta seemed so far away as I drove way below the speed limit and actually thought I might get pulled over for driving so slow. That’s a first for me! I’m approximately an hour and a half behind schedule.

Glenn & I kept in touch. He searched & found two stores on Washington Road. I missed seeing the first one & ended up at the second one. Knowing what I was told at the other stores, I asked the guy who was servicing my vehicle his opinion of the tires. His opinion was that one of the tires was a total loss but the other was still good with just a slight cut in it. The metal that was seen by the other guy was just something that got caught in the tread and pulled away easily. I just needed one tire. Thank you Lord!

With a 45 minute wait as they serviced my car, I reflected upon how blessed I was to have had Joe stop & help me in my need. His kind guidance helped me to handle my situation in a clear, unemotional way. I have a new friend…and his card if I ever need him again.


I am on the road again…YES!