Tuesday, November 4, 2008

“We have been friends together in sunshine and shade.” ---Caroline Norton

For as long as I have lived in Alabama, I’ve have a good friend, “Honks”. She is and has always been a very dear friend. We have shared the good and the bad. I really treasure her friendship, and miss the extreme closeness we shared at one time.

You see, I failed her years ago by a simple spoken sentence. With no motive behind the words, it came out terribly wrong and there was misunderstanding. No words ever seemed to be able to repair the damage that was done. I drew myself away from the friendship to give both of us the space needed to nurture the hurt (by both). I wasn’t happy. Joy had been torn from my heart. The joy that comes from having a close, personal relationship with another female --- a friend. Someone you always call to share good or bad news. I was afraid of losing a true, best friend.


Through the years she and I have been recapturing our friendship. I feel greatly rewarded to have another chance at renewing a friendship that has blessed my life. She is my “Faraway Friend”.

To not ramble on and needlessly tire you of my inability to express myself without self-check, I give you “cuff words”. Honks-husband-cancer-cruise-Aruba-brain tumor-alone-nurse/flight-ambulance-hospital-CAT/MRI-family-surgery-over and doing better than expected. She called me with the news. It was great to hear her voice filled with hope. She is an amazing person…and best of all a friend to me.


No comments: